Concerns About a Physiotherapist’s Practice

Sometimes a member of the public has concerns about the practice or conduct of a physiotherapist/physical therapist. When this happens he or she may want to work together with the physiotherapist or with the assistance of the College to address the concerns.

Once the information is provided to the College, the College must give serious consideration to each matter and make sure that a fair process is followed. The Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) explains the procedures that the College must follow.

Members of the public can contact the College’s Practice Advisor first to find out more about what they should expect from their physiotherapist prior to making a complaint or providing information to the College about their concerns. Speaking with a Practice Advisor is a confidential and free service available to all members of the public.

If you would like to learn more about how to provide information to the College concerning a physiotherapist’s practice or conduct, review the section of the website called Complaints or contact the Associate, Professional Conduct at or call 416-591-3828 ext. 227 or 1-800-583-5885 ext. 227. 

NOTE: The College is not able to deal with anonymous complaints or complaints involving financial disputes or refunds. The College cannot require that a physiotherapist change their professional opinion or report.

Mandatory Reporting

In Ontario, the law requires health care providers and facility operators—employers and clinic owners, for example—to provide information to the College in certain situations. This is called a Mandatory Report. There are many different situations that may warrant a Report.

Learn more about when a Mandatory Report is required.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Complaints Process—for PTs
Frequently Asked Questions about the Complaints Process—for the Public